Ceratophyllidia sp. 1 (32mm)
OPISTHOBRANCH OF THE WEEK
Opisthobranch of the Week Data
Frequency on Okinawa:
- Order: NUDIBRANCHIA
- Suborder: Doridina
- Family: Phyllidiidae
- Individual Collection No: RFB #3378
- Location: Seragaki (26o 30.4'N, 127o 52.6'E)
- Date: 15 March, 1995
- Depth: 165ft
- Water temperature at collection depth: Unrecorded
- Size: TL 32mm
- Specimen deposited: California Academy of Sciences.
Ceratophyllidia sp. 1 is considered to be rare on Okinawa as I have seen and collected only a single individual during many years of diving here. The animal carries a strong resemblance to C. africana (see Gosliner, 1987, p. 91) and was found crawling on open sand near a mixed sand/coral rubble interface. The specimen was noted to autotomize several of the stalked, globular dorsal papillae during photographic manipulations.
- Gosliner, T. 1987. Nudibranchs of Southern Africa. A Guide to Opisthobranch Molluscs of Southern Africa. Sea Challengers, Monterey, California.
Page Date: 25 Nov '96
Page Modification Date: 06 Aug '07
Digitally manipulated photo
Copyright © 2007 Robert F. Bolland