Ercolania sp. 1 (6mm)
OPISTHOBRANCH OF THE WEEK
Photo by Atsushi Ono
Opisthobranch of the Week Data
Frequency on Okinawa:
- Order: SACOGLOSSA
- Family: Limapontiidae
[brackets indicate range for all Okinawa-collected specimens of the species]
- Individual Collection No: Atsushi Ono #709
- Location: Zamami Island, Kerama Islands, Okinawa
- Date: 13 May, 2003 [Apr. 20 '03, May 13 '03, and other dates]
- Depth: 33ft (10m)
- Water temperature at collection depth: ca. 73oF (ca. 23oC)
- Size: TL 6mm [3.5mm ~ 6mm]
- Specimen deposited: Kominato Marine Laboratory, Marine Biosystems Research Center, Chiba University, Japan
I've not personally seen Ercolania sp. 1 here in the waters of Okinawa's main island and Atsushi Ono mentions (pers. comm.) collecting four of the ten individuals he's seen in the Keramas. * Atsushi considers the species to be uncommon in the Keramas and he's found the animal crawling on a thin translucent alga in shallow sandy environments.
Ono (2004) has photographs and information concerning six unknown Ercolania species found in the Keramas (including the above featured animal, depicted as Ercolania species 5) in his most recent book.
- Ono, Atsushi. 2004. Opisthobranchs of Ryukyu Islands. Rutles, Inc., Tokyo, Japan. 304pp.
* Keramas = the Kerama Islands Group, located 30 ~ 40 kilometers west of the Okinawa capitol, Naha.
Page Date: 11 Jul '05
Page Modification Date: 11 Jul '05
Digitally manipulated photo
Copyright © 2005 Robert F. Bolland