Gymnodoris nigricolor Baba, 1960. Attached to
OPISTHOBRANCH OF THE WEEK
the first dorsal fin of
Opisthobranch of the Week Data
- Order: NUDIBRANCHIA
- Suborder: Doridina
- Family: Gymnodorididae
- Subclass: ACTINOPTERYGII
- Order: PERCIFORMES
- Family: Gobiidae
- Individual Collection No: Photo only
- Location: Seragaki, Okinawa (26° 30.4'N, 127° 52.6'E)
[Onna Flats, Oku, Maeki-Zaki, Seragaki, Tengan]
- Date: 17 April, 1993 [see observation periods below]
- Depth: 20ft (6m) [Intertidal to 29m]
- Water temperature at photo depth: 71.5°F (21.9°C)
- Size: Photo only
- Specimen deposited: Photo only, without specimen
NOTE: See also a recent page (20 Nov '00) in re Opisthobranch of the Week,
- 1989: 11 May (the initial observation) through 16 May
- 1990: 03 Feb through 15 Jun; 31 Dec
- 1991*: 09 Feb through 10 Feb
- 1992: 30 Jan through 27 Mar
- 1993: 03 Jan through 14 May; 10 Dec
- 1994: 15 Apr through 20 May; 18 Nov through 20 Dec
- 1995: 10 Jan through 30 May
- 1996: 08 Jan through 30 Jun; 02 Nov through 29 Dec
- 1997: 01 Jan through 11 Jun
- 1998: 04 Jan through 11 Apr; 19 Dec through 30 Dec
- 1999: 17 Mar through 24 Mar; 27 Dec through 29 Dec
- 2000: 01 Jan through 16 May(as of late May '00)
- * During 1991 most dives were made at Horseshoe Cliffs, where the associations were never observed.
** Goby species kindly confirmed by Gerry Allen, 20 April, 2003.
I've also added an additional page showing the devices used to collect the above animals.
- Baba, K. 1993. A rare collection of a small species of Gymnodoris (Nudibranchia: Polyceridae) held alive by the chelipeds of the crab, Lybia hatagumoana (Brachyura: Xanthidae), from the bottom off Kanayama Bay, Kii, Japan. Venus 52(4): 283-289.
- Mulliner, D. K. 1991. Contact association between the nudibranch Gymnodoris nigricolor Baba, 1960 (Gymnodorididae) and the datehaze goby (Perciformes: Gobiidae). Western Society of Malacologists Annual Report 23:17.
- Osumi, D. & T. Yamasu. 1994. The Nudibranch, Gymnodoris nigricolor Baba, Parasitic with Marine Gobies. Zoological Science [Tokyo] 11 (Suppl.):54.
- Osumi, Dai & T. Yamasu. 2000. Feeding behavior and early development of Gymnodoris nigricolor Baba, 1960 (Mollusca: Nudibranchia) associated with the fins of Marine Gobies. Japanese Journal of Benthology 55: 9-14. [Japanese, abstract in English]
- Williams, E. H., Jr. & L. C. Williams. 1986. The First Association of an Adult Mollusk (Nudibranchia: Doridae) and a Fish (Perciformes: Gobiidae). Venus 45(3): 210-211.
Page Date: 23 Mar '98
Page Modification Date: 20 Apr '03
Digitally manipulated photos
Copyright © 2003 Robert F. Bolland