Siphopteron ladrones (Carlson & Hoff, 1974) 5mm
OPISTHOBRANCH OF THE WEEK
Opisthobranch of the Week Data
Frequency on Okinawa:
- Order: CEPHALASPIDEA
- Family: Gastropteridae
[brackets indicate range for all Okinawa-collected specimens of the species]
- Individual Collection No: Photo only, without specimen
- Location: Sunabe Sea Wall Dive Area, 6.5 km NE Kuzu-misaki, Okinawa (26o 18.8'N, 127o 45.5'E) [Seragaki]
- Date: 23 July, 2000 [28 Mar '93]
- Depth: 53ft (16m) [20ft]
- Water temperature at collection depth: Not recorded
- Size: TL 5mm [ca. 2~3mm]
- Specimen deposited: Photo only, without specimen (the single collected individual deposited at Cal Acad Sci)
Siphopteron ladrones is considered to be very rare on Okinawa as I have seen and collected only a single individual from six meters, however the photograph of the collected animal was not particularly good. To the rescue comes Mr. Kazuko Matsuda, who kindly offered to allow me to post his considerably better image than my own [the animal was photographed but not collected]. As a long-time diver and U/W photographer Kazuko reports that this is the only specimen which he, as well as his dive partners, have observed on Okinawa.
This attractive little gastropterid was described by Carlson & Hoff (1974) from Guam. They named the animal ladrones after an old Spanish name for the Mariana Islands.
Siphopteron ladrones is one of nine described species of Siphopteron currently found on Okinawa. The nine described species are:
In addition to the above nine described species I've collected several undescribed species as well. Gosliner (1989) lists twelve species of Siphopteron and many of the species are quite small and are probably overlooked by most divers.
- Carlson, C.H. & Hoff, P.J. 1974. The Gastropteridae of Guam, with descriptions of four new species (Opisthobranchia: Cephalaspidea). Publ. Seto Mar. Biol. Lab. XXI (5/6): 345-363.
- Gosliner, T. 1989. Revision of the Gastropteridae (Opisthobranchia: Cephalaspidea) with Descriptions of a New Genus and Six New Species. Veliger 32(4): 333-381.
Page Date: 21 Aug '00
Page Modification Date: 19 Jul '04
Digitally manipulated photo
Copyright © 2004 Robert F. Bolland