Tritoniid sp. 1 (11mm)
OPISTHOBRANCH OF THE WEEK
Photo by Atsushi Ono
Opisthobranch of the Week Data
Frequency on Okinawa:
- Order: NUDIBRANCHIA
- Suborder: Dendronotina
- Family: Tritoniidae
[brackets indicate range for all Okinawa-collected specimens of the species]
- Individual Collection No: Atsushi Ono / Photo only, w/o coll. no.
- Location: Gahi Island, Kerama Islands, Okinawa
- Date: April, 2006 [no specimens, only a single animal has been seen by Ono]
- Depth: 59ft (18m)
- Water temperature at collection depth: ca. 72oF (ca. 22oC)
- Size: TL 11mm [photo only, w/o specimens]
- Specimen deposited: Photo only, without specimen
This attractive and relatively small nudibranch, Tritoniid sp. 1, is considered by Atsushi Ono to be rare in waters off the Keramas* as he reports having seen only the above featured animal in the waters of Gahi Island. The above animal was found amid dead coral and rock (pers. comm.) and is used here with Atsushi's kind permission. As of the current date I've not personally seen specimens in the waters of Okinawa's main island.
In addition to the above featured animal, I've previously featured the following two tritoniids
on these pages:
* Keramas = the Kerama Islands Group, located 30 ~ 40 kilometers west of the Okinawa capitol, Naha.
Page Date: 05 Mar '07
Page Modification Date: 05 Mar '07
Digitally manipulated photo
Copyright © 2007 Robert F. Bolland